Planning on visiting Lublin, well it would be prudent to do some research before arrival and for sure you should think about doing the Lublin city walk and to see as much as possible of a city regarded as a hidden gem.
Here are 10 interesting facts about Lublin…
1. Where is Lublin, Lublin is in the south-eastern part of Poland, close to the Ukrainian and Belarussian border. It is the largest city in the Lubelskie County.
2. With a population of around 350’000, Lublin is the smallest of all the Jamboree locations, but who says size matters…
3. In 2012 Lublin airport opened. It is the most modern airport in Poland, the ninth largest and received 84.2 million grant to help finance it.
4. Did you know that before WW2, Lublin was one of the leading centre of Judaism?
5. Founded in the 9th century, Lublin started life as a settlement built around the castle and received town rights in 1317.
6. Lublin has changed hands a few times, in 1795 it passed to Austria and in 1815 it was a Russia town.
7. Lublin was also the capital of Poland of two occasions, but only for a few months. Each time came after a world war, first in 1918, and then in 1944, at the end of the World War II.
8. Lublin is a real student city, each year it is calculated that 100’000 or so students arrival in the city to study in the 4 universities there. This accounts for just less than 30% of the population making Lublin a real student city.
9. They call Lublin the “city of inspiration”, in part because of the amazing atmosphere within the city and the number of inspirational ideas and new visions are born there.
10. The most popular food product in Lublin is a pie topped with onion and poppy seeds.