So you’re thinking of maybe going to the Polish city of Lodz and decided to do a little research before arrival. Well before you go it would be advised to take in a city walking tour and get a lay of the land and see why Lodz is steadily gaining popularity as a party destination in Poland.
Here are some interesting facts about Lodz…
1. Where is Lodz, Lodz is right in the centre of Poland in the Lodzkie district.
2. The city, a former Polish capital, has a population of 715’000 and is the third largest city in Poland.
3. Lodz means boat, but this Polish city couldn’t be further away from water.
4. Liberal minded Lodz elected Hanna Zdanowska of Civic Platform – their first female mayor in 2010.
5. Piotrkowska Street in Lodz, at 5km ling is the longest street in Poland.
6. Manufaktura in Lodz is the name of the largest shopping centre in Poland.
7. Estblish in 1892, The Jewish cemetery at the Bracka Street in Łódź, one of the largest in Europe.
8. Hollylodz – If you’re a budding future actor, director of photographer you should head to the Leon Schiller film school in Lodz. It’s the most notable academy in the country.
9. Max Factor, Sr the businessman and founder of the Max Factor cosmetics is a resident of Lodz
10. Lodz was known as the ‘Manchester of Poland’ because of the booming textile industry of the 1900s.